Skype 2.5 Beta is out. They are making a lot of fuss about sending SMSs (but they have done this before, by chatting at a contact called 'SMS Gateway' - this service was free and didn't work). This implementation looks MUCH better.
Some interesting points though:
- You can change the 'FROM' number from your mobile number to your Skype name.
- They actually notified the sender when the SMS is actually delivered to the recipient's phone (niiiice!)
- when you join a pre-established group of contacts, the group members are added your Skype contacts.
- What's so special about this? Is it the fact that they are open for anyone to join in?? Consumer webinars??
- Update: the picture of whoever is speaking in a conference call lights up - useful in anything larger than a four person conference call.
- Nice viral feature, has some podcasting angles (everyone say "oooh, PODcasting"), but doesn't appear to be exploited - perhaps that will come.
- I'm still on the fence on this - guess this is a feature whose use(s) will appear over time.