Had another mess around with Jubii. I was hoping the service had improved after its launch a couple of weeks ago. Actually it was the comments in the blogosphere that clarified whether / how some of the functionality worked.
So, it comes from Lycos Europe, it's all Web 2.0:
- You get an email address. When you receive emails, they are divided between a public and private inbox based on whether the sender is in your address book
- Send SMS - not available yet
- VoIP (landline to landline, a la Jahah, rather than using PC's speakers + mic)- 30 mins of free calls per day to Austria, Canada, Germany, Denmark, France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, UK and USA (an interesting mix of countries!). Each call is limited 5 mins. Free while in beta.
- Blogging, photo and file storage and sharing. You can selectively share content with your contacts like etribes or vox (10Gb storage for the first million users)
- Interconnects with AOL & ICQ messengers
It looks reasonably good, but it's buggy - I'd rather not right it off at this point in time - it might be revved up into something reasonable.