Rebtel permits two people in different countries to dial local numbers to connect each other. Here's the deal:
- You enter numbers into your Rebtel address book.
- Next to each entry, there's a local telephone number (local to you, the caller).
- You dial that number and your friend's phone rings (even if it is one the other side of the world.)
- They answer. (The call appears to come from a local number to them.)
- They hang up (you stay on the line).
- They call you back on their local number.
- You can talk for the cost of a local call.
The whole concept is very nice indeed. In calling the UK, it failed at step 5 - the recipient couldn't hang up and call me back - I was still on the line.
If they called me in US and I hung up and called back, then it worked fine.
I'm sure Rebtel will have other innovations to follow. (See also Jajah)